Male, aged 27, German nationality.
- private Pilot’s Licence PPL(A) issued on 1 March 2011;
- multiple-crew Pilot’s Licence MPL(A) issued on 11 February 2014;
- A320 type rating revalidated on 28 October 2014.
- total : 919 flying hours;
- on type : 540 flying hours;
- in the previous 3 months : 107 hours;
- in the previous month: 30 hours;
- in the previous 24 hours : 3 hours.
- between January and April 2008, he took basic pilot’s training entry selection courses with Lufthansa;
- on 1 September 2008, he started his basic training at the ‘‘Lufthansa Flight Training Pilot School’’ in Bremen (Germany);
- on 5 November 2008 he suspended his training for medical reasons;
- on 26 August 2009 he restarted his training;
- on 13 October 2010, he passed his ATPL written exam;
- from 8 November 2010 to 2 March 2011, he continued his training at the ‘‘Airline Training Center’’ in Phoenix (Arizona, USA);
- from 15 June 2011 to 31 December 2013, he was under contract as a flight attendant for Lufthansa while continuing his Air Transport pilot training; on 2 September 2013, he joined Germanwings;
- from 27 September to 23 December 2013, he took and passed his A320 type rating at Lufthansa in Munich (Germany);
- from 27 January 2014 to 21 June 2014, he undertook his operator’s conversion training including his line flying under supervision at Germanwings;
- on 26 June 2014, he passed his proficiency check and was appointed as a co-pilot;
- on 28 October 2014, he passed his Operator Proficiency Check.
On 9 April 2008, he obtained a class 1 medical certificate without restrictions and valid until 9 April 2009, issued by the Lufthansa aeromedical centre.
On 9 April 2009, his class 1 medical certificate was not revalidated by the Lufthansa aeromedical centre due to depression and the taking of medication to treat it.
On 14 July 2009, his request for renewal of his class 1 medical certificate was refused by the Lufthansa aeromedical centre. The latter informed the LBA of this.
On 28 July 2009, he obtained a new class 1 medical certificate valid until 9 April 2010, endorsed with the note ‘‘Note the special conditions/restrictions of the waiver FRA 091/09 -REV-’’. His pilot’s licence then included the limitation ‘‘***SIC**incl. PPL***’’, which means ‘‘Specific regular medical examinations – contact the licence issuing authority’’. This limitation requires that the aeromedical examiner (AME) contact the licence issuing authority before proceeding with a medical evaluation relating to any extension or renewal of the medical certificate. It may relate to the medical history that the AME must be informed of before undertaking an assessment.
From July 2009, he obtained each year a class 1 medical certificate valid for one year that was endorsed with the note ‘‘Note the special conditions/restrictions of the waiver FRA 091/09 –REV -’’.
The last valid class 1 medical certificate had been issued on 28 July 2014 and was valid until 14 August 2015.
His schedule shows that he had not flown between 13 and 22 March 2015. On 23 March 2015, the day before the accident, he was in reserve from 03 h 00 and made a ferry flight from Düsseldorf to Berlin-Tegel between 04 h 57 and 05 h 56. He then returned to Düsseldorf at about 08 h 20 as a passenger. On the day of the accident, he made the flight from Düsseldorf, taking off at 6 h 01, to Barcelona, landing there at 7 h 57.